Immigration to Canada from the UK: All You Need to Know
British Citizens don’t usually need a visa to visit Canada for short period because of the established relationship between these two countries. But what if they want to immigrate to Canada from UK and live in Canada permanently?
Many Brits have already considered immigrating and living in Canada. Canada has been attracting many immigrants who are permanent residents in the country now and are happy about it. Being one of the best places to live worldwide, it is no surprise.
But how do you immigrate to Canada from the UK? Read on, and we will try to cover all your questions in this article.
Is it Easy to Move to Canada from UK?
Table of Contents
Immigration to Canada is not the easiest thing ever, but it’s easier than if you are migrating to the USA or Europe. Added to the fact is that Canada has one of the most relaxed immigration policies. Canada is also welcoming more numbers of immigrants this year.
Recently factors such as the COVID-19 pandemic and Brexit added to the migration complexity from the UK to Canada. With all this complexity, it may be advisable to start your immigration to Canada from UK sooner than later. So check out the immigration options and get started!
Top 4 Benefits on Moving to Canada from UK
Are you a UK resident considering making the big move to Canada? Or, maybe you’re someone who has already decided to take the plunge and want to know what benefits are in store for you. Either way, Canada has become an increasingly popular destination for those looking for a new home and there’s no shortage of reasons why.
From its stable economy to its rich cultural diversity, this North American country offers plenty of opportunity—whether it be career-wise or otherwise. Explore the top 5 benefits of moving to Canada from the UK, so that if you’re on the fence about making the switch, hopefully this will be enough to inspire your decision.
There are plenty of high-paying job opportunities for British citizens in Canada. With its strong economy and growing industries, Canada offers many opportunities for skilled workers. Some high-paying jobs in Canada include:
1. Software Engineer
Average Salary: $87,000 CAD per year
2. Financial Analyst
Average Salary: $90,000 CAD per year
3. Management Consultant
Average Salary: $100,000 CAD per year
4. Database Administrator
Average Salary: $105,000 CAD per year or more
5. Project Manager
Average Salary: Between $88,000 and $120,000 CAD a year
6. IT Technician
Average Salary: Between $50,000 and $80,000 CAD a year
7. Civil Engineer:
Average Salary: $93,500 CAD a year
8. Business Analyst
Average Salary: $85,400 CAD a year
Immigrate to Canada from UK: Your Top Options
One of the best ways to immigrate to Canada from the UK is to get Canadian Permanent Residency through the Express Entry system. You will have higher chances for a successful immigration to Canada is you’re a skilled, educated and experienced candidate that proves his potential to benefit Canada.
To demonstrate your high potential, you will need to create an Express Entry profile and fill it with relevant information. It’s needed for Canada’s Immigration Assessment to check if you meet the minimum criteria for their cut-off selection.
There are three main ways to apply for Express Entry:
1. Online through the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website
2. By mail or in person at a Canadian visa office
3. Through a designated Canadian immigration representative
To be eligible, you must first create an online Express Entry profile. You will need to provide personal information such as your age, language skills, education, work experience, and other details. With this information, CIC will assign you a score and rank you in the Express Entry pool.
If you are invited to apply, you will have 60 days to submit a complete application for permanent residence. Your application will be assessed on several factors including your age, education, work experience, English or French language skills, and whether you have a job offer from a Canadian employer.
The Canadian government believes that families should stay together. Thus, they prioritize applications for family reunification through the Family Sponsorship program. If you have a Permanent Resident relative in Canada who can sponsor you to come to Canada, it is your one way of coming to Canada; and becoming a permanent resident later on.
If you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, they may be able to sponsor you to come to Canada as a permanent resident.
To be eligible for sponsorship, you must:
- Be 18 years of age or older, unless you are the spouse or common-law partner of the sponsor, in which case you must be 16 years of age or older
- Have a valid passport or travel document
- Not be inadmissible to Canada (this means that you are not allowed to enter Canada for reasons such as health or security)
- Meet certain basic conditions, such as not being convicted of a serious crime and not having had a previous sponsorship application refused
The sponsorship application process has two steps: first, the sponsor applies to become a Sponsorship Agreement Holder with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC); second, the sponsor submits a sponsorship application for the family member.
Before submitting their application, the sponsor must complete an eligibility questionnaire to make sure they meet all of the requirements to be a sponsor.
The sponsor must also provide proof of their Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status in Canada and documents showing that they meet any applicable income requirements. The family member being sponsored must submit a separate application form as well as documents proving their identity, marital status, and other relevant information. They may also need to provide police certificates or medical examination results.
Once both applications are submitted and approved, IRCC will issue a visa to the family member being sponsored so they can come to Canada as a permanent resident.
The Provincial Nominee Program accelerates or puts your application on rush processing. So, if you want to move to Canada from the UK as fast as possible, then you should be in this program. A Canadian province should nominate you so that you qualify under this program.
Almost all of the Canadian provinces participate in this program. You should ensure that you have the needed skills for a Canadian province to get a better chance to be nominated.
The Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) is a great way to immigrate to Canada. Each Canadian province and territory has its own PNP, which allows them to nominate individuals for permanent residence.
To apply to a provincial nominee program, you must:
- Have a valid job offer from a Canadian employer in the province where you wish to settle
- Meet the specific requirements of the province or territory’s PNP
- Intend to live in the province where you are applying
- Apply online through Express Entry
If you are nominated by a province or territory, you will receive an additional 600 points towards your Express Entry score. This essentially guarantees that you will receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residence from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
You will then have 60 days to submit your complete application for permanent residence, including all supporting documentation. Once IRCC receives your application, they will review it and make a decision on whether or not to grant you permanent residence status.
If you are a skilled worker from the UK and choose to settle in the province of Quebec, this is your pathway. Make sure to get help from a trusted immigration agency to check if you are eligible for the Quebec Skilled Workers program. It is a points-based system for skilled workers, operating by the province separately from the Canadian government.
The Quebec Skilled Workers program is one of the most popular programs for those looking to immigrate to Canada and here’s how you can apply:
1. Create a profile online with the Quebec Skilled Worker Program (QSWP) and submit it along with any required supporting documents to the federal government. You will receive a confirmation of receipt and if you are eligible, an invitation to apply.
2. Gather all the documents you need to support your profile, such as language test results, education credentials, work experience letters, etc.
3. Prepare your application package by filling out all the necessary forms and providing any additional documentation requested by the government of Quebec.
4. Submit your application package to Immigration Quebec for assessment and processing. Your application will be reviewed for eligibility and points awarded accordingly. If you meet all the requirements and have enough points, you may be accepted into the program.
5. Receive your acceptance letter from Immigration Quebec and apply for permanent residence in Canada through the federal government’s Express Entry system or other relevant immigration stream.
6. Upon receiving permanent residence status in Canada, you can move to Quebec as a permanent resident!
The program has a simple application process and does not require a job offer. To be eligible for the program, applicants must:
- Have at least two years of full-time work experience in a skilled occupation;
- Score at least 67 points on the selection grid which factors in age, education, work experience, language ability, and other characteristics
- Intend to live and work in Quebec; and
- Prove that they have enough financial resources to support themselves and their family upon arrival in Quebec.
British citizens interested in opening a business abroad? Come to Canada! Canada encourages investment and employment; thousands of international business people migrate to Canada to establish businesses. The successful establishment of businesses by immigrants in Canada help the country’s employment growth. So, if you are a business person and qualified in this program, this can be your pathway.
There are two main types of business immigration programs in Canada: the Start-Up Visa Program and the Self-Employed Persons Program.
The Start-Up Visa Program is for entrepreneurs who have been approved by a designated Canadian venture capital fund, angel investor group or business incubator.
To be eligible for the Self-Employed Persons Program, you must have at least two years of relevant experience in self-employment in cultural activities or athletics, and meet the program’s criteria.
Here are 5 steps on how to apply to business and investor migration:
1. Determine if you are eligible to apply under the Start-Up Visa Program or the Self-Employed Persons Program.
2. Gather the documents required for your application such as a valid passport, proof of language proficiency, police certificates, and any other documentation that is relevant to your application.
3. Compile a portfolio of evidence that demonstrates your experience and qualifications in business or self-employment activities.
4. Submit an online application for one of the two programs with all the required documents and information. You will receive an acknowledgement letter from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) within minutes of submitting your application.
5. Wait for a decision from IRCC on your eligibility for business or investor migration to Canada. Successful applicants may receive their permanent residence visa within 6 months of submitting their application.
For both programs, you must also meet the general requirements for immigrating to Canada. These include:
• Having a valid travel document, such as a passport
• Being in good health
• Knowing enough English or French to communicate with people in daily life and work situations
• Showing that you have enough money to support yourself and your family after you arrive (this does not apply to applicants under the Start-Up Visa Program)
You may also need a police certificate.
Imigration Tips from CanadaCIS Experts
Before proceeding to your Canada migration application, it is best to consider the following preparations. An ounce of preparation always goes a long way.
Make sure you understand the differences between different types of legal permits and visas. Brits can stay in Canada for six months only, without a visa. If you want to become a permanent resident, you need legal documents for it. The most popular way to move to Canada for UK residents is through family, spouse, and employment visas. If you are coming for permanent residency, you need a permanent visa.
Coming from the UK to Canada, you will most probably have no problem adjusting to Canada’s cost of living. You will not pay £1.30 per liter but approximately 70p per liter of fuel only. For example, if you chose to move to Ottawa, house rental would be 46 percent lower than in London. Regardless, it is still best to evaluate the cost-of-living affordability before going ahead with your immigration application.
Yes, it could be one smart move to begin looking for a place to stay in Canada, even before sending your immigration application. By doing so, you will already have ideas on where it would be best to stay, on how much budget you’ll need, etc., for your new home in your new country. You may opt to get a real estate agent to help you find one, or – even better – ask help from an immigration agency!
Keep in mind that Toronto and Vancouver are expensive areas in Canada. If you want a more affordable place to live, you may consider staying in Canadian provinces such as Quebec, New Brunswick, or Newfoundland. You may also consider Ottawa, as it is home to most immigrants.
It would be better if you already have a job or are ready with job information before proceeding to your application. Canada provides a smooth job experience for its future residents. This site can support a way to start your Canadian job search, Government of Canada’s Official Job Bank. You may also want to check our tips on finding a job for foreigners in Canada.
But of course, getting a job offer before applying for your Canadian immigration is highly recommended. And we can help you get that – assist you in finding a job, preparing for interviews, and checking job offers for you. Our expert Career Advisors can assist you from start to finish.
So, should you start your immigration to Canada from the UK?
If you have been thinking about it, and read this immigration guide until the end, it’s time to make your dream happen. The perfect timing is now, as the Canadian government has announced a critical need of up to one million immigrants for the next two years; a once-in-a-generation opportunity. Sign up below to get help with our top immigration experts!