Canadian Permanent Residency for International Students

499970 +
international students are in Canada as of 2022

The federal economic immigration programs of Canada as well as various provincial nominee programs provide students a variety of immigration options to Canada.

Candidates who studied and graduated in Canada are given bonus points. After you graduate, if you want to stay in Canada permanently, we can help you with a few choices that can result in a smooth transition.

Published on September 3, 2023

Table of Contents

🏠 Permanent Residency Pathway Options for International Students
👩‍🎓 Foreign Student's Guide to Acquiring Canadian Permanent Residency

👩‍🎓 Step 1: Graduate and finish your courses in Canada.

🗣️ Step 2: Pass One of Canada’s language tests, either CELPIP (British-English), IELTS (Canadian-English), or TEF (French).

💼 Step 3: Receive a job offer from a Canadian employer.

👨‍💼 Step 4: Acquire at least 2 years of Canadian work experience.

💻 Step 5: Apply to the province directly or make an Express Entry profile (if you plan to apply through one of the Express Entry streams)

Click to for more tips on how to work and study in Canada.

❓ International Students Applying for Canada Permanent Residency: FAQS

97.5% of foreign graduates who requested for PR in Canada between January and October 2021 were granted.  Over the same time frame, over 130,000 previous holders of research permits received PR approval. 

We have yet to see how many foreign graduates will be accepted in 2023, and by starting now you could be one of them! 😉

For new foreign students who intend to stay in Canada permanently, Ontario is the most popular province.

Yes! While enrolled in school or after graduating, international students studying in Canada may seek for permanent residence status.

Although the US and Canada are both ideal locations for individuals who want to pursue higher education overseas, Canada has recently surpassed the US in popularity. Faster processing periods for study permits is the main reason why students choose Canada over the US.

Learn more about studying in Canada:

Join our Immigration Newsletter

Get the best immigration tips delivered to your email!

CIS Thank you

Check your email address for a welcome gift!

Immigrate to Canada E-Book