Do you need a degree to work in Canada
Do You Need a Degree to Work in Canada: Can Foreigners Without a Degree Work in Canada?
Canada has plenty of options for international workers, no matter what skill set or work experience one may have. The daunting question is, do you need a degree to work in Canada? Canada has thirty percent of its adult population having a college degree, but it does not mean Canadian employers are not searching for possible candidates without a degree. You only have to find the right immigration opportunity for you.
Canada’s job market is under strain due to its shortage of local skilled workers; not enough to keep up with the number of available jobs in Canada. For this reason, Canada is welcoming skilled and experienced foreign workers looking to live and work in the country: over 1 million newcomers by 2022.
Many foreigners come to work in Canada from Mauritius, France, Italy, UK, Bahamas, Spain and other countries around the world.
In this article, CanadaCIS talks about the possibilities of how foreigners without a university diploma can still work in Canada opportunities and apply for immigration. We also covered the best jobs for non-degree holders, how to get hired in a Canadian company without a degree, work in Canada requirements, and so much more. Read on and take a closer look at the various possibilities of migrating to Canada without a degree.
Table of Contents
How to Immigrate and Work in Canada Government Without a Degree
Find out if you need a work permit.
Not all Canadian occupation requires a work permit. Some jobs are work permit exempted. You may ask for our assistance with the information on these jobs. Once you need a work permit, you may secure one through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) or the International Mobility Program (IMP).
Prepare an updated resume.
Many applicants are guilty of submitting a not updated resume, which is a real issue. Your resume is your passport to get an interview, so it must be polished and updated. Your skills relevant to the position you are applying for would be a very important part of your resume when you don’t have a degree. Also, make sure that you format your resume per the Canadian resume format.
Start scouting for Canadian jobs that you want to apply for.
You should look for jobs that are relevant to your skills and work experience. You can look for Canadian job portals on the internet. The few common ones are Canada Job Bank and Career Builder, while you can also check the official Job bank of Canada.
Start your application today.
It is the most important part – action! Act on it and start sending your application to Canadian immigration. CanadaCIS can assist you so that you can start and go through the process properly. You must know which visa program you can qualify for, and we are here to assist you with that and more.
Do you need help immigrating to Canada?
Sign up and we'll help you!
Work In Canada Opportunities: Best Jobs for Foreigners Without a Degree
Not only do “in-demand” careers such as doctors, lawyers, and actors get paid well in Canada. Some of the best jobs in Canada are available even without a university degree.
Additionally, various Canadian immigration programs from different provinces/territories in Canada make it possible. We have listed some of these top Canadian jobs without a degree requirement. Check them out below.
- Average salary: $31,968 to $72,264 Canadian dollars
- Requirements: A high school diploma and a professional driver’s license.
- Average salary: $38,075 to $108,568 Canadian dollars
- Requirements: Good math skills, attention to detail, knowledge in geography, good customer service skills, an understanding of engineering science and technology.
- Average salary: $47,344 to $169,911 Canadian dollars
- Requirements: A high school diploma, over 18, pass exam, interview, and security clearance, good hearing and vision, and knowledge in English and math.
- Average salary: $$32,700 to $75,114 Canadian dollars
- Requirements: What’s great about being a web developer is that it still lands in the “design” department, so it depends on the talent you may have and how good you are at it.
- Average salary: $25,434 to $178,000 Canadian dollars
- Requirements: As long as you have a high school diploma, a real estate training course and license to sell, the skills in selling, extensive knowledge of the housing market, then you should be good to go!
- Average salary: $31,779 to $61,264 Canadian dollars
- Requirements: Good communication skills and a DZ license. then you should be good to go!
- Average salary: $33,308 to $86,932 Canadian dollars
- Requirements: A high school diploma, four to five years of apprenticeship, and some provinces may require trade certifications.
- Average salary: $38,388 to $100,688 Canadian dollars
- Requirements: A high school diploma, certification in first aid and CPR, no criminal history, excellent English-language skills, and the ability to communicate in intense situations.
*Do take note that this job will require you to be in top shape, as you may be called upon for missions at any time of the day.
- Average salary: $53,641 to $66,300 Canadian dollars
- Requirements: A high school diploma, over the age of 16, has joined the electrician apprenticeship program and passed the electrician aptitude test, and skills in English and math are a plus.
- Average salary: $26,532 to $71,119 Canadian dollars
- Requirements: A high school diploma and some shops might require mechanic certification.
- Average salary: $39,701 to $80,243 Canadian dollars
- Requirements: A high school diploma, trade certifications, and the ability to handle long hours and high-pressure situations.
Work In Canada Requirements: Immigration Programs for Non-Diploma Candidates
There are more than three immigration programs that candidates without formal education can choose from, but here at CanadaCIS, we have found the following to be the best:
The Canadian Experience Class is a program for skilled workers who have Canadian work experience and want to become permanent residents. It is probably the most common option for skilled workers that do not require a degree, but some of the other requirements include:
- Meeting the language level requirements for your job such as writing, reading, listening and speaking
- You will need at least one year of experience as a skilled worker in Canada.
The Federal Skilled Trades program provides skilled workers with the chance to become permanent residents of Canada based on being qualified in a skilled trade, even without a university diploma. Other requirements include:
- At least two years of full-time work experience in a skilled trade within five years before applying.
- Must acquire a Canadian job offer of full-time employment for at least one year.
If you don’t have a job and plan to find one once you arrive in Canada instead, the option you should consider is The Family Sponsorship program. It allows you to reunite with your relatives and have them sponsor you for the chance to become a permanent resident.
There is some work in Canada requirements for several immigration programs. It can be age, education, work experience, language skills, income/funds, relations to Canada, etc. The best way to know whether or not you’re eligible for Canada’s immigration programs is to ask assistance from an immigration expert or schedule a consultation with an immigration consultancy such as CanadaCIS Canadian immigration experts can professionally review and assess your application for better chances of success towards immigrating and finding a job in Canada.
Do You Need A Degree To Work In Canada FAQ
How long can I stay in Canada on a work visa?
The Canadian work visa allows skilled workers to stay in Canada for 12 or 24 months. You may choose to stay in Canada after your working holiday visa expires for up to 6 months.
Can I get a work visa without a degree?
Yes. Although most professional-level jobs in Canada require a minimum of a bachelor’s degree, candidates without a degree can still receive a work visa as long as they acquire the skills, experience, education, language; and meet their chosen company’s job requirements.
Can I move to Canada without a job?
Fortunately, you don’t have to receive a job offer to immigrate to Canada. The country provides several available programs that allow candidates to apply for Canadian permanent residency without securing a job before they arrive. As long as you’re a “skilled worker”, there is an opportunity for you to apply for permanent residency.
What is working in Canada like for non-degree holders?
Canada does not discriminate against non-degree holders, which is great for foreigners without an educational background to work in Canadian companies. Some of the wealthiest people living in Canada do not hold a university degree. They either worked their way up through trade or have put up their own business. University is always a great advantage for candidates, but it should not affect your results when applying for Canadian permanent residency.